Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sometimes our community seems so small...

So tonight was an awkward experience. I'm chatting online and a faceless, nameless guy messages me (which is a common occurrence online to be sure) and says that he wants to hook up with me. Typically, this is a direct ignore moment, but then this person says he knows me, and that I know him. He goes on to say that he dated my ex, and I met him while they were dating. Now, my curiosity gets the best of me and we go around and around until I find out that this guy is Adam, who dated my ex Matt after he and I broke up, and the last I had heard the two were practically engaged... I mean they had met each other's families, gone away on vacation together, had toothbrushes at each other's places (I saw the pic on Matt's blog as he swooned over the romance of it, which at the time made me ill), and now I suddenly find out that Matt is moving to Colorado, he's broken up with Adam, and of course is not returning to Wright State in the fall. Now, what makes this entire situation entirely awkward is that Adam proceeds to proposition me to come over and have sex with him. Now, I understand hook-up culture... two adults (in my opinion) can consent to having a meaningless, physical, one-night relationship, as long as it's safe and consensual... but someone I know, who knows my friends, and has been a part of my normal life? No... definitely not. Not to mention the awkwardness of both of us having dated the same person. It's times like these I wish vaguely that I were heterosexual, or rather that everyone else were gay. We are such a small community at times that we trip over each other, and sleeping with or dating a person immediately connects you to twenty others, which in some places is THE community. On top of that... who thinks it's all right to proposition somebody for sex solely on the basis of knowing the same person? That's just... awkward. But it seems that that is a part of gay culture... the hook-up mentality, the shallow drives, the "young, dumb, and full of cum" mindset. Sometimes, I hate that... but other times I'll admit I'm a part of it. But most times, I just hate it. How do we find love, or fight for marriage equality, when half of us (gay men I mean in particular) are dead set on the idea of "Fuck marriage, just have sex". Sometimes it's disheartening.

No comments: