So today is off to a stronger start after an awkward night. First, allow me to wrap up the events of last night. Obviously, no I did not have sex with Adam. But lo and behold after I aplogize and as nicely as possible decline his offer, I go to check my Facebook and find that strangely enough, Matt is online. We talked for a while, about his status as a student, his life situation, and his health and moving to Colorado, fairly light conversation. Now Matt and I did date, and unfortunately it did not work out. For awhile, as is often the case, there were hard feelings and issues, but I feel that for the most part we have an understanding of what happened and what we were, and who we individually are now, which is a good thing. I invited him out to the charity bike ride which I will ramble on about shortly, but decided not to mention Adam's... I don't even know what to call it. Sometimes, it's best to just close your mouth and let things slide under the rug... in this case, I really don't think telling him that would have soothed his aching heart or made anything any better. I still just feel very awkward and uncomfortable though, which is why I'm writing about it at all.
Anyway, on to business that matters. Last night, Emily and I went to Aquarius to meet Rob, who is coordinating a charity bike-a-thon to benefit Camp Sunrise, a camp in Ohio that serves children affected by HIV infection and AIDS. Rob actually got together so many sponsors and partners, and even got the Mayor to start the ride. The best part is, she contacted him and asked if she could, he didn't even approach her! Rob and I chit-chatted a bit about how great it would be to get all these different LGBT organizations talking and involved with one another so that we can all do more together, and it was so encouraging to hear someone say it out in the community, in the "real world" so to speak. Anyway, I got home and fooled around til I went to bed (insert awkward sex proposition), then woke up this morning and set off to work. Thus far, I have e-mailed everyone who attended Take Flight (WSU's Leadership Retreat) asking them to support the ride, and also made a Facebook group and invited everyone in the Dayton area to join. On top of that (which actually took a large chunk of time) Chris messaged me on Facebook, from Campus Pride, and we chatted a bit about the beastly application process for Campus Q (There are an obscene number of questions on it) and he casually mentions that he's thinking of asking me not to be a state ambassador, but rather a REGIONAL ambassador. Let me explain. A State Ambassador would represent Ohio... every college in Ohio from Dayton to Columbus to Toledo and everyone between and outside. Well, rather would serve I should say, not represent. A Regional Ambassador would serve campuses in Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Indiana, and Kentucky. That's kind of a scary thought seeing as how I've never been to West Virginia, Virginia, or Kentucky, and it makes the prospect of trying to understand and help them out a daunting one, but we all have to start somewhere I guess, and really if I want to represent the national LGBT community one day, I guess six states is laughable. So, bite the bullet right?
At any rate, right now it seems my excitement and passion are on par with my run-down tiredness, because I feel very in between. I'm not doing crazy amounts of stuff, but neither have I done nothing... I'm waffling in between, but I think I need to get to a resting point and take a bar night with some friends to cool off, so then I can not feel like I'm in a funk. It's just crazy looking at how much opportunity and need there is in my community, and my head is so full of possibilities that I can't just grab one thought and focus on it. Today, I took care of the Bike-A-Thon, next is that damn Campus Q application... after that will be my breather time, and I'll think about the rest of the world tomorrow.
Oh, and note to self: See if I can book Vernon Wall to come speak in February... maybe BSU will be more likely to co-sponsor him during Black History Month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment