Sunday, July 27, 2008

GAP (Red) Line

I just want to take a quick second to throw out something both LGBT-related and personally important to me. I'm a big fashion nut, I suppose as much as any other college age gay boy, but I also think it's vitally important that anything you wear represents you well. To me, that means it should reflect your person to the outside world. I like to think my clothes go across all lines, use a variety of colors and styles to show I don't confine or define myself rigidly, and I love those little bits that show people something about me, for instance my Voltron T-Shirt, or my Thundercats belt buckle (I also have the old school TMNT and a Jack Skellington one), and my Stewie slippers from Family Guy... it's those little things that set me apart from every other guy walking down the street thinking he's Mr. Sexy or whatever. Another part of fashion and how it plays in to people is looking beyond the superficial to show who you are. Make an outfit out of that Campus Pride T-Shirt to show the world you're a Happy Camper, and rock that HRC lanyard on your keys... when people notice those things, or I should say when I notice those things, it catches my eye and immediately adds another dimension to you as a person before I've even gotten to speak with you. So much of a person is said right on the surface, and I don't mean that in a shallow way, it's just how things go. Now, having gone on that long-winding tangent, I want to have people take a look at the GAP (Product) Red Line of clothing. Half the profits from these items goes to women and children in Africa affected by HIV/AIDS. That's soemthing hugely correlated to the LGBT community, and it seems many times the only people who give a shit and are actively against these diseases are the LGBT community. The clothes are made from African cotton, for a good cause, and some of them look damn good, so for those of you who might read this blog, if you're looking for some hot new summer clothes, maybe skip the Abercrombie this time and show a different side of yourself... a side that cares a little more and that is more aware of what's going in the world, and even though it's just a token half-ass kind of activism, I think it's something worth supporting. If you're interested, do some shopping. It's affordable, and some of them are really cool.

http://www.gap.com/red

No comments: